Monday, January 9, 2012

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

Homemade Pot Pie

Don't be intimidated by the ingredients list. Its really not much. Just some carrots, onions, peas and chicken. Also, if you don't like the veggies it calls for, substitute them for what you like or add anything else. Just in case you're crazy about veggies, I'd keep it to less than five.

Ingredients:
Filling:
2 Tbsp of Butter
1 Onion (I found this to be a bit much so I used half of one)
2 Carrots (Bugs Bunny style)
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced (chopped finely)
2 Cups Mushrooms, fresh or canned (I always have a can or 2 of mushrooms available)
2 Cups of Cooked Chopped Chicken ( For this I just bought 2 cans of Swanson's Chicken makes life so simple)
1/4 cup of Flour....I found I had to use a little more to coat all of the veggies.
2 cups low sodium Chicken Broth (One can of Chicken Broth works just fine)
1 Cup of Whole Milk (I used low-fat milk to make it even better)
1/2 cup of half and half (If you want to be even more healthy, substitute a half cup of milk for this)
1 Cup of Frozen Peas (half of a bag)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Crust:
1 Sheet Pastry Puff Frozen (If you're like me and you have no idea what this was, I just used 2 cans of low-fat biscuits from Pillsbury. I individually flattened them out and laid them in the pan.

1 or 2 Egg whites (or egg beaters, we always have some in our fridge)

Instructions:
Before you start anything I HIGHLY recommend chopping the veggies, everything runs much more smoothly. Also, preheat the oven to 350.
Filling:
Heat the butter in a large skillet, and believe me you want a large one, over medium heat. I like to add the butter while the pan is heating up and let it melt a bit so that when I add the veggies I know its warm. Add the chopped carrots and onions. Stir in with the butter and saute for about 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and frozen peas and saute for another 5 minutes. Then add the chicken and flour. This is where the recipe calls for 1/4c of Flour but I ended up using about 1/2c to be sure that all of the veggies and chicken were fully coated. Pour in the chicken broth and be sure that no clumps are created, this is a common issue with flour, however I did not have this problem. After this is fully mixed in add the milk and half and half (or milk and milk). Let simmer for about 10-15 min. The sauce will thicken, add some salt and pepper.
Crust:
If you have the sheet of pastry puff, then just roll thin and divide in half. make sure you grease the pan and then lay down half of the crust, once you pour in the filling put the other half of the crust on top.
If you do it like I did and use the biscuits then be sure to roll each one very thin. once you have done this coat the bottom of the pan in sections of the roll using half for the bottom and the other half for the top.
Combination:
After the crust has been laid on the bottom of the pan, pour the filling into the pan. Put the rest of the crust over the filling Then brush some of the egg on top of the crust. Put in the oven and bake until top of the crust starts to turn golden brown, about 20 min.


Now all that's left is to enjoy a deliciously healthy meal with 350 calories and 12 grams of fat per serving! This is compared to the 800 calories and 48 grams of fat from your typical frozen pot pie....
Also, instead of chicken and chicken broth you could substitute in Beef and Beef Broth.
If you want to try something different you could be like Brock and put applesauce on it....although that's how he eats them, not me!


This Recipe was taken and modified from Cook This Not That







No comments:

Post a Comment